When your boyfriend has to dress up as an elf for charity and asks you to make him an elf hat to complete his costume- this is how you do it!
You Will Need:
Pins. Many many pins.
A sewing machine threaded up in the colour of your choice (unless your way more devoted than me and can do everything by hand!)
1. Measure his head. (His was 58cm BTW)
2. Divide this by two (29cm) and add a little bit for seam allowances (30cm).
(The photo isn’t great but I have drawn a triangle in pencil on the felt as a cutting guide)
3. Mark this out on your felt with a pencil. I used the bottom edge of my felt so I had one straight edge already. Then depending on how long your boyfriend wants his hat mark out the third point of the triangle (mine was 80cm long).
4. I then joined these three points up free handing a curved shape to make the hat sufficiently elfish.
5.Cut this out.
6. Carefully pin your hat shape to another piece of felt making sure there are no creases in the felt.
7.Cut round this so now you have both halves of your hat.
8. Lay them out so that they are a mirror image of each other.
9.Add green felt in which ever combination of stripes takes your fancy. I also added red ribbon. Make sure that that your green stripes are pinned at the same point on each side of your hat otherwise it will look lopsided when you sew the two halves together.
10.Sew the felt and ribbon on to the main felt piece. When sewing the second side make sure that the main pieces match otherwise your stripes will be wonky.
11. Match the two sides up and machine around the edge leaving about a 1/2 a cm seam allowance.
12. Turn your hat the right way around and sew a bell on the end (for a truly festive feel!)
13. Model your new hat proudly!